Monday 19 September 2011

Dieulefit (Dieu Le Fait- God made it)


Roland Dutel belongs to an arts movement known as 'arts singulier' he sells  work through galleries but otherwise he is an untrained outsider artist .His home is also an arts gallery/ installation. I saw this place and couldn't believe my eyes. George was marching on towards the main street and a certain glass of wine. On the way back I spoke to Roland just to say I liked his home and noticed he was munching his baguette and with key in the door trying to escape. I wished him Bon Appetit and left him be. He seemed very nice. It says ring the bell on his door to visit his exposition, I only really noticed this later. I will go and visit him next time.


Dieulefit in Drome Provencal is a small lively artist's town. The population is at around 3000 and it is at 400m altitude. There is an old part wrapped around the side of a hill, a maze of narrow stone cottages some with small courtyards. We went on a little tour around that led us to 15th Century houses, with 3 old fountains a huge tunnel conecting the buildings at the the back of the high street and a clock tower built in the
16th century. There is a long street below the older part,built on the foundations of a medieval street, made up of cafes, ateliers, potters shops, craft shops galleries etc. At the end of this is a cafe on a roundabout that seems to be the place to catch up and sip wine.
This is the garden of the artist Roland Dutel

This was outside the artists house above. 

A watering can calling all those who respond to such things outside a potters workshop, here was a strange collection of things including  
a shop mannequin in a bath,  old iron bed heads welded together to create a small cafe seating area and a little arrangement below.

For a small town there are an enormous amount of potters, I read 30, taking advantage of naturally occurring clay. 

This tall houses here face the market place and someone has busily gathered river stones and created a zen garden.



Dwelling here is compact, convivial, probably a little dark  with a few pot plants outside to create a little originality. These villages were built in the 9th and 10th century, largely abandoned in the 19th Century in favour of the less harsh plains but then reinhabited by the 60's .


This is the island as you enter the village recognising the pottery tradition rather artily.

7 comments:

  1. super post...makes me want to go there. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I loved this place,so much to see and a little bit odd which I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic.. you should write some notes about it to go with the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes what a great find... looks fabulously odd. Could you go inside too? Just love the first image...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took such a long time to post these, I'm afraid I didn't get around to write anything.. I intended to do it later. I have written a bit more and shall try and do a bit more later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to live in that building with the red shutters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for those extra details, and the anecdote about Roland is magic, you must go back and talk to him!!!

    ReplyDelete